Caltrans :: Commercial Wholesale Web Portal :: Version 2
California has 12 unique districts that have Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) devices deployed in the field. In order to provide real-time traveler information to the public, Caltrans has made the individual district ITS data available in a uniform manner. ITS field data such as Changeable Message Signs, Closed Circuit Television Cameras, Roadside Weather Information Systems and Chain Controls has been reviewed and given precise location information as well as real-time status information. Other information, such as Lane Closures, is also included in the Commercial Wholesale Web Portal 2 (CWWP2).
Conditions of Use
Please read the Conditions Of Use before using these data sets.
- October 20, 2020 : On November 9, 2020 Caltrans will be migrating the Caltrans Wholesale Website Portal Version 2 (CWWP2) to the HTTPS protocol from the HTTP protocol. HTTP will be available until November 9th, 2020 and will be redirected to HTTPS thereafter. HTTPS will not be available until after the transition on November 9th, 2020. Please update your clients and applications that utilize the CWWP2 as necessary to accommodate this important change.
- July 23, 2019 : On October 1, 2019 traveler information data files located on https://www.dot.ca.gov, https://www1.dot.ca.gov and https://www2.dot.ca.gov will be no longer available for use in your application. Please start using this website as soon as possible in your application. To assist you during this transition, please use the file migration crosswalk (PDF).
Data Format and File Layout
Data is available in four file formats that contain the same information to allow easy integration into your application. Included below are the file format layouts:
- CSV - Comma Separated Values
- TXT - Text file with delimeter value of "ÿ" or 0xFF
- XML - Extensible Markup Language
- ATMS - Advanced Traffic Management System - Deprecated
- CC - Chain Control Signs
- CCTV - Closed Circuit Television Cameras
- CMS - Changeable Message Signs
- LCS - Lane Closures
- Quickmap - Quickmap KML Files
- RWIS - Roadside Weather Information Systems
- TT - Travel Times
Miscellaneous File Locations
- District Map and County Chart - Shows the relationship of Districts to counties
- Route Chart - Lists the state highway routes
- Postmile Prefix / Route Suffix / Alignment Charts - Decodes the values reported in the Postmile Prefix, Route Suffix and Alignment fields